ORANGE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE (WITH A SECRET INGREDIENT!)
Heading into the weekend, I wanted to share a delicious and unique chocolate-y dessert recipe: Gaea's Orange-Flavored Bitter Chocolate Mousse. The secret to this recipe is that extra-virgin olive oil replaces the usual cream, resulting in a silky texture and a hint of the oil's flavor (and less cream = more healthy, right??).
Below, I've included the recipe – and a hands-on recipe video.
ORANGE-FLAVORED BITTER CHOCOLATE MOUSSE WITH
GAEA FRESH EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL
TIME NEEDED: 3 hrs 20 mins
1 1/4 cups bitter chocolate (70% cocoa)
1/4 cup GAEA FRESH Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons orange liqueur
Zest of 1 orange in shavings
- Cut the chocolate into small pieces.
- Separate the eggs' yolk from the whites into two bowls.
- Melt chocolate and add the olive oil and liqueur.
- Mix the yolks with half of the sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Mix the chocolate into the yolk mixture.
- Whip the egg whites with the rest of the sugar and the salt into firm peaks to make the meringue.
- Blend together the meringue and the chocolate mixture and stir in ¾ of the orange shavings. Whisk gently until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Put the mousse into bowls or glasses.
- Place them in the fridge for at least three hours.
- Serve adding orange shavings on top of each portion.